Thursday, September 25, 2014

Mmmm... missing him.

It all started with a green plain jacket that David found in the basement.  He used it because it was soft to gather pears from the trees in the back yard.  When he came in with the basket, filled with green and pears, I asked what he had.  "I found this in the basement, I think it might have been your Dads.  I used it to protect the pears."

I carefully unwrapped the pears from the green plaid whatever it was, and pulled it out of the basket.  Indeed it was a jacket of my Dad's.  I remember it well.  When Dad wasn't wearing it, Mom was.

You know what my first reaction to the jacket was?  I brought it up to my face, rubbed my cheek with it, and smelled it hoping for a little scent of my Dad.  Just hoping for a little bit...  maybe I did, and maybe I didn't...  I  put it around my shoulders, and the warmth I felt from it was so soothing.  I wonder if when Mom wore it that she felt that too.  I wonder if she felt a little more secure with it wrapped around her shoulders.

Oh how I miss him.  The first man I ever loved.  Grateful for the memories, and the love that will forever live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment