Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Praising God through it all...

Oh yes!!!  I am praising God through it all.

It's been a while since I have posted anything on my blog...  and I am grateful that I can still post on my blog.  It was quite a ride to start with, but has been nothing short of miraculous (to me anyways) since.

June 13th I went in for a total hip replacement of my right hip.  All was going well...  prep was good and I was so ready.  Surgery went without a hitch.  And then there was recovery...  apparently not going so good.  Blood pressure was way too low, they were having a hard time getting me stable enough to go to my room.  in the 3rd hour of all of this the nurse that was taking care of me told me that she was not going to leave even though her shift had ended until I was stable and she was going to make sure I got to my room...  she spent the next hour with me, checking and rechecking... finally I was at a point where she felt okay to take me to my room...  she was my angel that afternoon.  Very calming presence.  David was waiting for me when I got to my room, it was so good to see him.  I rested well that evening, with no pain.

Wednesday morning as I woke up I noticed that I was having some vision trouble.  Peripheral on the right side was messed up.  PT came in to get me up, and I mentioned that to them as I was sitting on the edge of the bed...  they helped me stand and that is the last thing I remember.  I had passed out...  and when the therapist checked my pulse, there was none...  *code blue* and all the nurses came running...  I came out of it on my own, thankfully...  but it certainly didn't make David feel very good when he was on his way to my room and all the nurses were running for my room and they were calling my name over and over again.  Yeah...  never a dull moment here...  That day was a day of tests...  CT scan of my brain, ultra-sound of the carotid arteries, and an EKG.  A neurologist was called in...  I had had a small stroke that had affected my eyesight, to what extent, and one or both eyes would be later determined with a follow-up with my eye doctor.  the ultra-sound and EKG were both good...  phew!!!  I was feeling really really good in spite of what had happened.  I was having no hip pain whatsoever.  YES!!!

Thursday morning came, and I told the nurse that I was ready to get up and move...  so that is exactly what I did.  PT came in, and they were amazed that I was doing so well...  walked around the nurses station...  did that a couple of times Thursday, sat up and had dinner in my hip chair...  Friday I walked even more, sat up for my meals and for many hours visiting with David...  and then Saturday morning walked some more and got discharged to GO HOME!

The nurse I had Wednesday was the same nurse I had Saturday...  she was so surprised to see how well I was doing...  She told me I gave her quite a scare, and she was sure I would not be going home this soon...  But, here I was going home...

I have been home since June 17th...  I had in home PT and VNA for two weeks and was discharged to out patient PT.  The walker was gone in a week and I graduated to a cane.  I have not had any pain other than the feeling of a pulled muscle at times.  I am getting some of my independence back...  back to cooking, cleaning, laundry....  still not able to drive....  but praying that I will be able to do that in the near future.

I have had a follow-up appointment with the surgeon and the hip is healing well, with the eye doctor and both of my eyes were affected by the stroke losing the right side vision in both eyes, with the neurologist who thinks some of my peripheral vision in my right eye has returned...  I will find out about that in September when I see the eye doctor for more tests.  I will also be having a heart patch test to check for A-fib, and I will be going to Dartmouth to see a hematologist to see if I have a blood disorder that would explain the stroke.

Through all of this, friends and family have rallied around to help with meals (Janet and Dan, Barb, Bonnie, Kate and John, Melody) visits in the hospital and at home from friends (Michelle, Kate, Cindi, Rowena, Melody, Judy, Barb, Jayne, and the daily visits from Michelle and the little men the first week home so that I wouldn't be alone all day, and Melissa for coming home for a week to be with us/me) beautiful flowers at home and work (Janet and Dan, Kate, Leslie and Bob, Paul and Dona Lynn) rides to appointments and back and forth to work (Michelle, Melissa, Rowena) and the many cards and notes and calls.  Thank you everyone for so much love.  I hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

And then there is my guy who has been with me through it all...  he was at the hospital every day, called me every day...  saw me through the scary moments and has been so encouraging through everything.  Yes, there have been times when I got a bit discouraged, and I still do...  but he is always there, praying me through...  he is my knight in shining armor...  I just love him so.

And thank you God!  For being there...  for your strength and peace.  I called out to you and you answered my plea for help.  You have a plan and purpose for my life...  and you're not done with me yet.  Thank you! I am giving you praise through it all.  How can you use this "cracked pot" today?  I don't know, but I am ready and willing...  I am so grateful to be here...  and pretty much back to normal...  whatever that might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment