Thursday, March 15, 2012

Conquerer's

John 16:33  "....  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."  NIV
                   "....  In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties.  But take heart!  I've conquered the world."  MESS
                   "....  In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world."  NAS
                   "....  In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."  NKJV

Take heart!  Take courage!  Be of good cheer!    These are really hard to do sometimes.  I don't know about you, but when my world seems to come crashing down around me, it is pretty difficult to be cheerful or courageous.   So, I decided to investigate and find out what it really means.

take heart
Be confident, be brave, as in Take heart, we may still win this game . This idiom uses heart  in the sense of "courage." 
good cheer
cheerful spirits; courage: to be of good cheer.
 
Ah ha!  I see a pattern here..  and each thing I read and go to mentions the word "courage".  Well, being courageous can still be hard.  Especially if you are trying to do it on your own.  But, we don't have to do it on our own.  
 
The last part of the verse is the key.  Jesus has overcome, He has conquered.  And we can too, with His help.  There will be troubles, we will experience difficulties, there will be tribulation....  but it doesn't have to overcome us....  Jesus has experienced it all....  and He overcame and conquered.  And He promised to never leave us or forsake us, so He is there to help us overcome and conquer.  Phew!!!  Am I glad that I don't have to do it all alone.  
 
Philippians 4:13  "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." 
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment